Willow Willow Willow!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bird Collector, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Bird Collector

Bird Collector Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    North Carolina
    Well my girl willow keeps me on my toes all the time. She was my second hen I got last summer when starting my chicken cappers. She got really sick with a respiratory sickness and we went to the vet. Fast forward>>>>>>> 2 times more with sickness and better with no other chickens getting sick. Well in December with the change of weather and the fact she was molting too Willow got sick again. This time I bought her in the house for TLC. she got better again but I felt the weather was to cold to transition her back out so she is still in...but lonely....I guess I am not enough for her. [​IMG] I brought her close chicken friend in to stay with her and Lillee was not having it. I decided to get her two little babies to take care of...worked like a charm i could have cried at how happy she was and she took over like an experienced momma. I let her take them around the house and to watch her feed them and teach them is out of this world. What strong instincts. I will post pictures when I get a chance. Cute cute cute. Any way It just hit me she has not laid an egg. I know she was sick then molted but that is all over....soooo when a chicken is in the mothering state does she stop laying. I love it because there is no extra stress on her body but I am getting a little worried. I have lost one to interal laying and have been watching Willows belly and it all seems fine. She definitely teaches me something all the time. So any advice on this would help.
    This is Willow
    [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She's pretty. Sorry I can't advise you on whether or not a surrogate mom should be laying or not. Not that silkies are all that great in the laying dept. anyways.

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Yup when chickens mother or brood they don't/can't lay. She is beautiful! [​IMG] And what a great name for a silkie!

4. Bird Collector

Bird Collector Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    North Carolina
    Here are pictures of the babies and Willow:>
    This Nevada her momma is a white silkie show girl and her daddy is a white cochin frizzle.
    [​IMG]
    This is vagas He momma was a white small cochin with a splash of black and her daddy is also the white cochin frizzle.
    [​IMG]
    Willow tending to her babies.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by