Willpower

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I just got back from TSC to grab a few more things for my chickies arriving next week. They had Americauna & Australorp chicks in their bins....somehow I made it out of the store without any chicks in my cart. (It helped that I’m waiting on my heat plate so I can’t heat them yet!)
I would have ended up w 3 of each otherwise I’m sure....And possibly a divorce! 😂
My purchase:
Has anyone tried that chick feed?

Attachments

• DA005434-A73C-4FFF-955E-0B58873A76A4.jpeg
    DA005434-A73C-4FFF-955E-0B58873A76A4.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 43
My purchase:
Has anyone tried that chick feed?
I have used that chick food. The first bag I bought was terrible! It's supposed to be crumbles so chicks can eat it, but a lot of it was not finely chopped, so I literally had to put portions of it into my blender and pulse until it was an appropriate size. It took forever. :mad:
I bought two more bags recently because I could not get my hands on any other chick starter and the size has been good so far. I felt the feed through the bag at the store just to see if it was smaller stuff.

I have used that chick food. The first bag I bought was terrible! It's supposed to be crumbles so chicks can eat it, but a lot of it was not finely chopped, so I literally had to put portions of it into my blender and pulse until it was an appropriate size. It took forever. :mad:
I bought two more bags recently because I could not get my hands on any other chick starter and the size has been good so far. I felt the feed through the bag at the store just to see if it was smaller stuff.
Thank you! When I open it I guess I’ll have to see how big it is...should I wet it for them?

At what point do I offer chick grit? Immediately? When they first forage? After giving them greens as a treat?
Defiantly before 1st forage and giving greens or anything else besides chick starter. I would give it immediately they don't need much only offer a little at first. I see you have wood chips I'm assuming you plan on using it in brooder. I use old towels in brooder for a few days giving them time to get some grit into there systems before putting them on wood chips and even then I use the large flake chips to keep them from eating them and getting impacted on them. Doesn't happen often but better safe than sorry. Great to see you trying to cover all your bases before hand.

Last edited:
Defiantly before 1st forage and giving greens or anything else besides chick starter. I would give it immediately they don't need much only offer a little at first. I see you have wood chips I'm assuming you plan on using it in brooder. I use old towels in brooder for a few days giving them time to get some grit into there systems before putting them on wood chips and even then I use the large flake chips to keep them from eating them and getting impacted on them. Doesn't happen often but better safe than sorry. Great to see you trying to cover all your bases before hand.
Thanks! Someone on here suggested using puppy pads the first few days, so I’ll do that or old towels. Are my pine chips too small?

Back
Top Bottom