wilted comb and pale

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kerrie Ann, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Kerrie Ann

Kerrie Ann Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    I have an older chicken she has a wilted comb and seems a little pale. What does this mean? She is also separating herself when I feed them. She eats but only if I put a little to the side. She is older. Not really sure how old I got her as an adult from somebody at a farm. I will never do that again.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Visually inspect her lice/mites, especially around the vent area. She may need to be wormed.

3. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    Is the mites and lice big enough for me to see I looked before I didn't see anything I'm going to have to look again. Thanks

4. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    Although the mites/lice are pretty small, you should be able to see them. Look for movement, if that makes sense, and from what I've learned they tend to cluster at the base of the feathers, especially around the vent. If her comb and legs are pale, that's a sign she's not getting enough nutrition. It could be from the mites, if it's a heavy infestation, or it could be from worms (so you would want to deworm her - lots of threads on that on this forum). It could also be that she's just plain old and not eating enough. You could try giving her special treats separately, like warm oatmeal or bananas, or something like that, and see if it helps. It could be too that it's just her time to go (in which case definitely give her treats! Make her autumn days special :) )

5. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    Thanks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by