Wilton Method Cake Decorating

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by The Chicken Lady, Feb 4, 2009.

1. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I just started taking my very first Wilton method cake decorating class tonight. (I was supposed to take it last month, but they didn't have enough people sign up for the January group, so they delayed the class until February).

I learned some *really* good tips for baking and frosting already, and I'm extremely excited to put them to use. (DH is excited, too, but only because this just means more sweets for him! [​IMG]) I have to bring a "practice cake" to class every week to practice decorating on; when class is over, it comes home to me and to a hungry DH! [​IMG]

There are three more weeks to this class, so I'll post some pictures of the cakes I'm practicing on and share some of the better tips I've learned as I go along.

One thing I learned tonight is that cool designs can be added to a cake's surface by pressing down on the cake with paper towels. The instructor demonstrated that, and I was like [​IMG] .

Yup, I'm a total cake-decorating n00b, but I hope taking this class will change that a bit. Has anyone else taken a Wilton class?

By the way, I wore my BYC shirt to class tonight...just in case. Ha ha...

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    this class sounds great! can't wait to see your projects!

3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I LOVE their buttercream frosting recipe. OMG to die for. I took that class a long time ago. WELL WORTH it!! I wanna see some pictures!

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I took them 11 or 12 years ago. I loved them.

5. Chic-n-farmer

Quote:Yes! I forgot to mention what a huge hit their frosting recipe is!!

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'm going to do a practice for the practice cake this weekend... Ha ha... So I'll post a picture then. (I really want to try the frosting...I'm going to make almond buttercream...mmmm).

We didn't actually decorate anything tonight. It was more an introduction to the course, what supplies are needed, and how to make the frosting. Then the instructor demonstrated how to frost a cake the "right" way so that we'd all be able to do it for next week. [​IMG]

7. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I took mine through JoAnn Fabrics. I took the first and second class. I still have the design books and it probaly has been like 10 years for me too- maybe a bit longer even.
    I hope you have fun ladies in the class- it makes it even more fun [​IMG]
    christina

8. Chic-n-farmer

Quote:I took mine through JoAnn Fabrics. I took the first and second class. I still have the design books and it probaly has been like 10 years for me too- maybe a bit longer even.
    I hope you have fun ladies in the class- it makes it even more fun [​IMG]
    christina

We had a really interesting man in our class. He was very serious and intense about doing it as a business. For the last class in the first course he mixed all the leftover frosting he had made for previous classes. His decorated cake had lovely roses in shades of black and grey. lol

I took three levels but missed the day we learned to make pansies... anyone want to explain it to me?

9. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    My mom decorated for years. When it was one of our birthdays my sister and I would BEG for a cake with icing from a CAN.

My poor mom.

10. Chic-n-farmer

Quote:That's one of my fears.... years from now my kids will be complaining..... "mom always made our cakes.." [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by