Wimpy Drakes???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Violet22, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Violet22

Violet22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    These are my first ducks, they are about 5 months old now. I always thought the drakes ruled the roost and were the protectors. The other day I got 3 new ducks and one drake. I had them in a pen attached to the main pen for a couple of days. When I let them out, they came out fighting. My 2 drakes ran and hid and left my 3 girls to fend for themselves. It was awful, 3 of the new ones would be on one of my girls, but my 2 runners are little warriors, they never backed down and gave as good as they got. Needless to say, I didn't let this go on for more than a couple of minutes. I pulled the drake out, and without their man to back them up, the 3 new ducks stopped attacking. My girls got their last licks in and put them in their place and all has been peaceful since. I found a new home for the drake.......I didn't really want another drake, but he was so pretty, I wanted to give him a try.
    Anyways.........are my drakes wimpy, or is it normal for the girls to do all the fighting? My one runner is definitely the queen of the pack. I thought it was funny too.......after all the fighting, my Zoodie decided she wanted a little "action" from one of my wimpy drakes. I don't know why she would want anything to do with him, after he ran out on her, but I guess the fighting either stimulated her, or she was just showing the new girls he was hers!

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

If you can watch it so no one gets too hurt, I would just let them have at it. Usually takes a few days until the pecking order is established. The QUEEN of our roost is a tiny two year old black silky duck. She's queen over not only the ducks but the geese too. In our flock the guys aren't really anything except among themselves. I've watched the silky males battle it out and the runner males also. Just watch and make sure no one gets seriously hurt.

3. Violet22

Violet22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    I introduced 3 other ducks a couple days before and I watched to make sure it wasn't too bad, and it didn't get out of hand. I was afraid this time tho, the new drake and the 3 new ducks were going to hurt my girls, and I really didn't want another drake, so pulling him out was the best thing for me and my girls. I also didn't want to take the chance of another group taking over the pecking order.......I know I am weird, but I like my first gotten animals to remain the dominant ones, and I promised my girls I wouldn't let anyone come in and take over. Of course, I don't think I have anything to worry about there, even tho the new ducks were twice the size of my Runners, my Runners put them in their place real quick after the drake was gone.
    It's cute your silky is queen! I guess size doesn't matter when it comes to birds!

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I felt that way when I got the silkies. I made a post about the new bullies. It bothered me to see them putting my original girls in a different place. However after a few weeks it wasn't such a big deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by