1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winchester, Ontario

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jen2848, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Jen2848

Jen2848 New Egg

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I have had chickens for over 10 years now. I started with some crippled chickens that friends would send to me for some TLC and have been head over heals in love with them ever since.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Right now I have 5 roosters and 1 hen. The lady I got them from said they were all hens so I was very surprised when they started crowing and growing spurs!

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have two sliver laced wyandotte roosters, two white leghorn roosters, one black sex-link rooster and one buff orpington hen.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I found out about BackYardChickens.com by constantly researching everything about chickens. Since I started off receiving sick chickens from friends I had to quickly learn how to take care of them. My regular vet isn't too familiar with chickens but she does her best when I bring them in for treatment.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I have a small hobby farm with two pet goats, two pet cows, lots of former stray cats and 4 dogs. My hubby and I love wood working, making maple syrup, and just about anything else we can do outdoors with nature.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have been with my common law hubby since grade 11 (1998). We bought my grandfathers hobby farm from him in 2006 and have slowly been adding new features to our farm over the years. My long term goals with the farm is to be as self sustaining as possible.

I really look forward to meeting like minded people!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Jen2848, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Sounds like a nice farm you have going there! How do you keep the roosters away from that lone hen? [​IMG] There is an active thread in the link below if you'd like to chat with fellow Canadians.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/144/canadians-check-in-here
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Jen2848 [​IMG] Welcome!

Yikes! You definitely got stung on the rooster ratio. Your poor little hen! [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Jen2848

Jen2848 New Egg

Hi! The hubby had to build a second coop for the lone female. We picked the friendliest roo, the black sex link, and they live in wedded bliss together. The rest of the roos will be running around the with the cows and goats eating as many flies as they can. We are going to try and find some year old hens to join our hen and roo as soon as we can. I'm going to be much more careful about the new potential hens this time!

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC! It sound's like you need some more hens over there.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with all your plans and thanks for joining us!

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am fixing to celebrate my first year on here, and I have loved it so much, I hope you will too! There is tons of great info and friendly folks, so pull up a chair and make yourself at home! :frow

~Cuz

9. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by