Wind chill

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by epona4, Nov 19, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    First off, I'm sorry if I'm not posting this on the correct board. I just couldn't figure out where to put it! My birds are not chicks, but they are still youngish. (6 months or so)

I'm worried about letting the birds out today. They high will be near 40, which for a chicken isn't bad at all. But the wind will be blowing with 30mph gusts. So the wind chill will be pretty darn cold.

Should I keep them in today, or will it be ok to let them out and about?

I've not let them out much because 2 of them have been sneezing and such and it's been cold or rainy. But I know I NEED to let them out! I know I'm being overly worried, but I can't help it. These are my first chickens and I am scared of doing everything wrong and losing them.

I'll be glad when I get used to this. I guess I was this bad with our first baby. Of course by the time #4 got here, the "10 second" drop on the floor rule was firmly in place and I didn't jump every time there was a cry or whine!

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

If these are little guys, no, I wouldn't let them out. Being 5 months up, sure, let them out as long as they can get in under shelter or back in the coop when they choose.
    Lately I have heard a few of the Maine crew mention that they allow their birds out all winter, as long as its not freezing rain... that will get them chilled.
    I guess its your choice if you do or don't. I did let mine out this morning around 8:30 am, its 9:11 now and 28 degrees in the bantam house (I have a cordless themometer in the hutch and reciever in by my computer).

3. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Epona4;
    Hi Spook;

Caught this thread and I know about wind chill. How old are the chicks. If they are under two months, keep them inside. Little chicken feet and combs can be frozen, wind chill or not. Supply them with heat (heat lamp etc.) w/o getting them spoiled by it. If they want it, they will go to it. Make sure they have light in the coop. Light is very important not only for layers but all of them.

Just had a discussion yesterday with a guy at work about windchill. He said it only affects animals that sweat! Humans included. I think it affects any warm blooded creature. Coming from Iowa, I know about windchill and its affects on livestock.

40 degrees is okay for awhile sun and ranging are what they really like. is the sun out and can they can go back inside when they want.

4. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Well, the sun FINALLY came out about an hour ago, so I put the chickens in their run. They were VERY happy! The banty roo hasn't shut up since I let them out and he's chasing the girls around. Basically, making a pest of himself.

5. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    I have tried letting little guys out in cold weather so I
    can tell you the truth DO NOT try that one. But chickens
    about 4 1/2 months old should be fine out side but be
    shere to bring them in at night.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    It's true that chickens are not affected the same way we are with the windchill. We've created windbreaks in the run for them, and they have free access to the coop. They can go in or out whenever they want... in the freezing rain, snow, sun, whenever. I don't ever lock them up in the coop... that's just not healthy for them.

7. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have some that are 7 months old also. My girls are all in the same coop, so they are with the older ones. They are allowed to come and go from the run and coop all day. They will go inside if it gets too windy. I also have hay bales on 1 side of the pop hole to keep the wind out of the coop, and I have a tarp on part of the fence as a wind break. They usually don't go in unless it is really bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by