Wind chills?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I know we feel them.. but do ducks? I am thinking no? I'm annoyed our temps have been steady and are about to drop again, i have a duck on a nest to boot(yes, she's inside but still).

So what has been the consensus on this? is it a concern or just go by the "real" temperature.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think there is some effect of wind chill, as I have noticed my ducks don't act like perfect little weather vanes, keeping their noses pointed toward the wind. They'll have their sides or tails to the wind, and the wind gets in up under those feathers.

And if they are standing or walking, their feet get exposed to the wind, and their eyes and bills do, too, when their eyes are open and bills are not tucked under their feathers.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Good observation. Well i put Vaseline on my drakes faces(Muscovy flesh lol) also the chickens combs just in case. It's only -2C but windchill of -8C and supposedly about to get worse by tomorrow so trying to figure all this out, i guess lol

4. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I'm in Wisconsin and I've noticed my crew will lay down to eat and tuck their legs in their feathers. They also tuck their faces deep into their feathers to keep warm. We get temp down to 25 below zero and pretty strong wind. On the bad days they just stay in the coop and huddle with the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by