Wind Egg - HELP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UrbanChickenMama, Dec 5, 2008.

1. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Hi,

I got another one today and thought I'd post a pic. Its a bit dirty, because they fall in the shavings, break - I'm guessing, and then become an ooey-gooey mess.

There are two in my hand. The one closest to my wrist is old, dried up, and slightly curled into a ball, the one closer to my fingers is fresh from today.

This is the 11th egg in 12 days like this! There's oyster shell out, but they don't eat it. I'm putting crushed egg in their feed and its just not helping.

What can I do? She's laying eggs, but they're going to waste! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    My hens were doing the same when they first started to lay. I was told to give them a little cod liver oil. I dipped little pieces of bread in the oil to get them to take it. This was supposed to help them get into sync? Since I gave them a little cod liver oil I have not seen another egg like that....

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Are they on layer feed? If not, try mixing the oyster shell in the regular feed.

4. UrbanChickenMama

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:I think I hijacked someone else's thread and said this, but I'll say it here too. She was laying like a pro (11 eggs in 15 days) and then she out did herself with a double-yolk HUGE egg that was twice the size and has been laying the wind eggs ever since.

That's the first I've heard of cod liver oil. I might try that. I was also talking to DH about cottage cheese treats. They love that, that could get a bit spendy.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  5. UrbanChickenMama

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    WooHoo! She laid a "real" egg today! DH said he looked out our kitchen window to see her "jump" over something that looked like an egg in the yard. He went to investigate and sure enough she had an egg out there -- wrong spot, but at least I can eat this one!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by