'Wind Eggs' Hatchable?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Atlchick, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Atlchick

Atlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
    Sorry for the title, but I thought it would get some attention. I found my Silkie under the coop just now and she's setting on 10 eggs, two of which are 'wind eggs'.

Couple of questions...are they ever hatchable, or should I remove them to give her more room for the other 8? She's covering all them now, but it looks like a stretch (see picture).

We are in Georgia, and it's been in the teens and 20's for a week with wind chill at 8 degrees, unusually cold for our area. The forecast is the same for the upcoming week. I don't have an indoor coop, they all stay outside. But we wrap 'poly' around their coops and nobody is complaining about the cold. Everybody is hearty and happy/eating and pooping and laying like crazy. And now Ugly Betty is broody...YEA!

Should I leave her under the coop with the poly around her? She made an indention in the wood shavings and looks quite happy, but my concern is that she's under there by herself with no other hens for body heat. And I'm guessing the eggs should hatch is about 2 weeks. Will it be too cold for the babies? She's a sweetheart and we could move her into the house without distrubing her.

Recap: Should I remove the wind eggs, or leave them alone?
    Should I leave her where she is, or bring her in the house until the eggs hatch and the fuzzies feather out?

Thanks for your input.
    Rita
    [​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    "wind" eggs generally have no yolk so can't be fertile at all.

3. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    Not sure about your set up but you could candle them and see if they even have a yolk? They should be developing by this point if they are viable?

How cold are you? I'd bring her in since you think she is sweet but I'm an over protective mommy anyways.

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Quote:Yes I agree. have Never seen one with a yolk.

5. rosaline

rosaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    I dont like to sound stupid but what are wind eggs? [​IMG]

6. Atlchick

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
    There's no stupid questions here, thank goodness! Sometimes when a hen first starts laying - or for some other reason I don't understand - one of her eggs it tiny, about the size of a quail egg, or maybe 1" long.

I've never opened one - and now I see that there's usually no yolk inside.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    There are some illnesses that cause wind eggs, too.

8. Atlchick

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
    And I've usually heard them referred to as a 'rhymes-with-"part"-egg'. Don't know why that is, either, but when I submitted my question using the 'f' word...it was edited to read 'wind'. Sounds better, I know.

9. rosaline

rosaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    [​IMG] Thanks. It is true I learn some thing new every day [​IMG]

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    All the wind eggs I have ever gotten where at the end of a hens egg laying cycle when she started her molt. I've never had one with a yolk either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by