Wind Speed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cary 1973, Dec 9, 2012.

1. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

what wind speed/ gust do you lock your chickens up to keep them safe from being blown around

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I attach deep sea fishing weights to their legs. Works really well.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't start worrying till about 60mph.

Sour, [​IMG] [​IMG]

Everyone knows you only need 1 weight, keeps them spinning in place.

Imp

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't worry about it. They've survived thousands of years handling things like that for themselves. As long as they can get behind something to break the force of the wind, they'll manage.

I have to be careful how I phrase this. There is a difference in breaking the force of the wind and breaking wind.

Imp, how do you connect them? Maybe a bowline knot so it doesn't tighten up? That's my favorite non-slip knot.

I had to be careful how I phrased that. There is a difference in breaking the force of the wind and breaking wind. I'm sure Sour understands.

Cary, I apologize. I'm just having fun with a couple of people I like. I am serious in that I give them something they can hide behind then leave it up to them.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Oh you naughty, naughty boys and girls! Now you know there's probably someone out there whose going to try this! [​IMG]

To the OP, in all seriousness, I've never locked my chickens up due to wind. They go inside on their own only when the wind is strong enough to blow them sideways.

7. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

thank you all for the replys and laughs

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They became very dizzy when I only used one weight, and they laid scrambled eggs. [​IMG]

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    And my family can't figure out why I literally laugh out loud here........."What can be so funny about chickens, anyway?"

Cary, I've had birds roost in trees year round, even in wind storms that broke branches all over town. Honey and I would be in bed and hear a smaller branch hit the roof and ask each other "think that was a chicken?" Never was!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by