Wind Swept Acres??? ~*<Pic Heavy>*~

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mangled, Apr 28, 2008.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] The name my husband wants to place on our "farm." I'm not too keen on the name, but hopefully I'll get used to it.
    Here are some random pictures I took over the weekend of our cleared acreage. We have close to 100 acres, but all is heavy woods except where the clearing for our house is.

The back yard:
    [​IMG]
    My husband going to war on stumps. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The flock free ranging:
    [​IMG]
    The crazy guinea who adopted us:
    [​IMG]
    Brutus the Protector:
    [​IMG]
    Our coop & run area:
    [​IMG]
    And finally, the front yard and the driveway:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking. [​IMG] What do you all think of Wind Swept Acres? [​IMG]
    Em

2. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I think it is absolutely beautiful! I love the front yard and driveway. The flock is gorgeous and it looks like you live in an amazing area.

3. mangled

Thanks, we worked awful hard to get it.

Everyone we know is about 30 miles away, in town, with cable, paved roads, etc. They don't understand why we would want to live out here.

I like to go outside and hear nothing but the birds. We get very little road traffic, just the locals.

Em

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I like the name, although it brings to mind wide open empty spaces that are bare of anything green.
    Your place is definitely not bare!
    I love your place. I wish we had 100 acres. I would love to not hear traffic all the time.
    I bet it is hard to keep your driveway open in the winter.

Jean

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  5. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Gosh....Love it!!!!! Lucky birds! [​IMG]

6. mangled

Quote:You bet it is. This was our first hard winter up here, and we were actually snowed in a couple times when the 4WD was out of the truck.

We just got a sweetheart of a deal on a newer used Simplicity tractor with a snowblower attachment, blade, roller and it has dual hydraulics and PTOs. We will not be snowed in this year, and the 48" deck makes mowing a lot easier.

Em

7. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Sounds like you got it handled now...but now you won't have the excuse, "I can't get out!" LOL

I bet you keep the pantry stocked up during the winter too.

Is your house in the middle of your acreage, or to one side of it?
    I bet it is so peaceful there. I envy you for being able to have that much land.
    I grew up on a large farm in Mn., and I really miss having all that room to live.

Jean

8. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    That is just beautiful! You guys have a great space. I like the name too, it was why I looked at this post.

9. mangled

Our house is to one side, the first picture shows that. Where you can see the clearing on hte ohter side of the trees is the neighboring property. Good part about it, the neighboring property is 800 plus acres of working farm. They don't live on the property, but have barns for angus cattle. It's not unusual to look out the kitchen windown and see a couple tons of Angus bull eating grass in the backyard, LOL. He has 2 bulls that are always breaking out.

We walk up an sit on the round bales at the edge of the property and watch him plow his fields.

So far the only drawback is in the Spring when the farm next door spreads manure on the fields. [​IMG]

Em

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  10. Flyman39

Flyman39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    Just my kind of place. Very Very nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by