Windbreak Ideas Please

GRB73

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2016
SE Pennsylvania
I have a small (3' x 4') coop with three chickens. I'd like to provide a Windbreak to block the n/nw wind that pummels the coop most of the winter. We have a small yard with limited space. I've thought about attaching burlap to 5' poles. Or stacking hay bales. The latter I can get for free but my husband isn't too crazy about killing the grass under the bales. Anybody have other Windbreak ideas?

We're capable of lots of ideas, but you've not provided much information. How about a photo of your coop and yard for starters? And tell us where you are and what the climate is.

Seeing your coop and yard will provide us with an idea of your limitations. And knowing your climate will tell us about temperature gradients and local vegetation where we might get some ideas.

For example, where I live, the wind is so brutal at times, plastic sheeting stapled to a run will just rip off and flap madly in the wind. My wind breaks consist of fixed plastic panels and old full length glass doors to block both summer and frigid winter winds, each from a different direction. I also utilize native vegetation - slender straight juniper tree stems assembled into a windbreak fence. Juniper is like a prolific weed here.

I use burlap on my garden windbreak fences, but beware that it sags considerably when wet, and the wind whips it around so badly, it shreds in no time unless sandwiched between supports.

My wind is horrid ! I sometimes wonder if it CAN get worse. LOL Not being able to access free straw bales I covered mine w/ a tarp and winds took it every time . I am using a dog kennel for a run and I added a tarp then tacked some lattice over the tarp. 3 yrs ago. Still standing strong. :yesss::frow

Looks like you've got it 'covered' as best you can.
Tposts and some sections of wooden fencing is the only thing I can think to block wind.

Straw bales make such an excellent wind barrier, they build houses out of them. Cheap and long lasting.

Here's another vote for a straw bale. I've got a step-up coop and I got a bale to use as a step to get in there. A year later it's still intact and stable. I can feel low spots and soft spots. I'm gonna have to invest another $7 any day now. But I can't believe how that thing's held up!

When I have to replace it I'll spread it in the nesting boxes and run as bedding or add some of it to the compost pile. Some people even gouge out a hole and plant in them!

I cut up and stapled an old tarp to the N and W sides of my run. The coop has window covers I can close.
Are you just looking to provide a wind break to the coop or the run as well?

20181108_072809.jpg
Sorry for the late reply it's been a busy week. This is our little coop (without the back door). I will cover portions of the run with 4 mil greenhouse plastic as I've done during past winters. I always leave the south facing side of the run open for ventilation, except during very bad weather.
It is the coop I want to protect. Due to the size of our yard, this was the only spot we could place it. It gets hit by NNW winds all winter. We are in SE PA, northern Bucks Co., about 800' in elev. Winter temps can be as low as the single negatives, but are typically in the low teens at night. I thought a Windbreak might add another layer of protection to maintain heat in the coop. It is a twin walled coop with good ventilation on the front, back and sides.
Good point about burlap when it gets wet. We may try to use lattice now. Open to other suggestions too. Thanks

I do not have much wind so its not something I need to do every winter, although I do this when temps get below 20 degrees. I screw or staple cardboard around the coops. I do a sloppy enough of a job that it will fall off come spring after it gets wet and heavy. Then I leave it for the chickens to scratch up. 6 months before Thanksgiving is when I shovel up all the coop and run bedding/Manure and compost it. This will stop the wind and in my case falls off the coop just in time for the season that needs more ventilation.

I do not have much wind so its not something I need to do every winter, although I do this when temps get below 20 degrees. I screw or staple cardboard around the coops. I do a sloppy enough of a job that it will fall off come spring after it gets wet and heavy. Then I leave it for the chickens to scratch up. 6 months before Thanksgiving is when I shovel up all the coop and run bedding/Manure and compost it. This will stop the wind and in my case falls off the coop just in time for the season that needs more ventilation.
"If NECESSITY is the MOTHER of INVENTION, then LAZINESS is the FATHER"

Back
Top Bottom