Windham Maine TSC Farm Days- NEXT DATE: JULY 28TH!

annabananaandfamily

Songster
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Maine
The next scheduled Farm Days at the new Tractor Supply in Windham is Saturday July 28th from 9am-1pm. Come bring your farm-related goodies to swap, sell, trade and barter!

And now, thanks to several other Maine swappers, the legal info:

IT WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH VENDOR TO ABIDE BY STATE OF MAINE LAWS AND REGULATIONS; TO PROVIDE ANY REQUIRED LICENSING, ADEQUATE SHELTER, CAGING, WATER AND FOOD FOR THEIR ANIMALS; & TO CLEAN UP THEIR AREAS WHEN LEAVING.

Maine State Laws governing the sale of poultry/waterfowl & goats

Maine State Law:

MAINE RULES AND REGS ON SALES OF LIVESTOCK, POULTRY, WATERFOWL, MILK, CHEESE

http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/ahi/ahisr.html

5A. ALL SHEEP AND GOATS IN MAINE AND OUT OF STATE ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE SCRAPIE TAGS.

clarification of scrape info:

all goats or sheep leaving their farm (going to a swap, show, walk around the neighborhood or sale of any kind in or out of state) need to have a scrape number. this number is on a tag or can be tattooed on the animal. tags are free and so is the applicator. the person needs to call Gail at the fed USDA 866-873-2824 and she will send out tags for the farm and the applicator. the tag is a way to trace back to the farm of origin if there is a problem. so if she has a goat that she bought elsewhere and it has a scrape tag, it doesn't need a new tag as long as that tag is still attached to the animal. if the tag come off, she needs to put on her scrape tag. if she goes the tattoo route, ear, thigh, or tail fold.

5B. birds do not need to be in the NPIP Program. Its great if your birds are Typhoid & Pollorum tested to keep these diseases out of US.

The only time you need to have tested birds is at a fair/show.

The only stipulations are that at public events in Maine you have to sell any birds under 8 weeks old in lots of 6, above the 8 weeks, they can go one at a time. If sold from your house or farm you can sell singular birds of any age.

You must purchase 6 from the one family the chicks are raised in, not 1 bird here, 1 bird there. They can be any breed/ any ages mix or match if under 8 weeks. They do need to be the same species (6 ducks, 6 chicks, 6 turkeys)

NO PROCESSING OR NEUTERING OF ANIMALS

Rabbits and guinea pigs must be completely weaned and minimum of 8 weeks old.
(this does not apply to other livestock)

RULES FOR OUT OF STATE VENDORS

http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/01/001/001c206.doc

VENDORS DO NOT NEED A VENDORS LICENSE UNLESS THE VENDOR BUYS LIVESTOCK, POULTRY OR WATERFOWL TO RE-SELL

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection: A legible certificate signed by an accredited veterinarian and approved by the chief livestock official of the state or country of origin stating that the animals are free from signs of contagious, infectious and communicable diseases and containing the following:

1. An official identification number, or identification satisfactory to the commissioner, for each animal
2. Age, sex and breed of each animal
3. The results of any qualifying test
4. The exact address of consignor (sender) and consignee (receiver).
5. The expected date of entry

NH & out of state residents should have a copy of their NPIP form to show that the flocks of origin for their birds were NPIP certified.

Rule Chapters for the Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Resources
01 001 Agriculture General

http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/01/chaps01.htmL

A PREVIEW OF WHATS GOING TO BE THERE:
-A small variety of straight run chicks- barred rock/cochin crosses, barnyard mixes, maybe an orpington, breda fowl (maybe). All around 12 weeks old (I am sure there will be a few folks there that can tell what sex they are). Breeds will vary depending on what I decide to part with.
-Chicken Coops/ Rabbit Hutches
-Homemade Feather Earrings
-Silkie Chicks
-Ducks

ITEMS SOUGHT:
-LF Laying Hens
-Small Breed Goats
-LF Cochins

Last edited:
Glad to hear that Windham got one going! I will work around you guys so that our dates don't clash! (I run the Lewiston ones) So excited! Good job, Anna!

Great.
big_smile.png
. I have that day off and should have a few extra chicks and ducklings to sell. They will all be over eight weeks so I don't have to worry about the 6 chick minimum. Hope that the weather will be a bit drier than last Saturday's was.

We are a month away from our first swap here and I am getting excited!! I am already trying to sort out which chicks will stay here and which will be coming to the swap with me, but I definitely will have 8 week old chicks in a variety of mixes- I have some cochin/barred rock crosses, a couple of unknown mixes, and possibly a couple of Breda Fowl that have to go (though I really have a hard time parting with any of those!!). Depending on how many I convince myself to part with, I may be interested in some LF Cochin pullets (especially if I can find some colors I dont have yet. And I would really LOVE to find a nice black one.) We also may have some baked goodies, depending on my kids motivation, and if its warm they might even do some lemonade
smile.png
. Really looking forward to meeting folks and talking chicken with everyone.

So excited for this! I live in Gray and this is so close to us. I was going to bring some Silkie chicks to sell but my 15 year old daughter has claimed them all for herself. Looking forward to see what will be there.
thumbsup.gif

Anyone know anyone that has kind of a black and white speckled polish pullet. my grandsons favortie bird was killed today by a dog and it was the only one he would pick up. I bought it from a guy at the windsor fair show that had them and some golden lace ones.
hit.gif
Looked kind of like this

Last edited:
Anyone know anyone that has kind of a black and white speckled polish pullet. my grandsons favortie bird was killed today by a dog and it was the only one he would pick up. I bought it from a guy at the windsor fair show that had them and some golden lace ones.
hit.gif
So sorry for your grandson. We cull my sons little rooster this weekend. The rooster just adores my son so we might be looking for a chicken to replace him too. Hope you find what you are looking for.
fl.gif

I have some silkies and those most kids have no problem picking up and loving.

hit.gif
Looked kind of like this

Back
Top Bottom