Window as chicken entry door...

ChickieNikki

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
1 hour west of St. Louis, MO
We have a regular replacement window that we are considering using as the chicken's door in and out...open it during the day, close it at night. Anyone have any advice for/against using a window as the chicken door?

ETA: it's a single hung window--opens bottom up but not top down.

ETA: It will be mounted low so they can jump right onto their little ramp out. I will also make a little ramp inside if they need it, as it'll be about 6-8" off the floor to accommodate deep litter.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Is it located low in the coop or up high?

A window might work as a pop door if it were down low for them... they like getting in and out fast...at least mine do.

I can't see any major reason not to do it. I don't think it's that uncommon for people to do.

Only *possible* problems I can see is if a large strong predator gets on the other side of the closed window and wants to get to the chickens (b/c you obviously won't be able to treat the opening as you'd normally do for a coop window and cover it with hardwarecloth). I doubt that's a serious risk though especially if it opens into a reasonably secure run. And secondly, you may get wild birds flying in. If you figure 'big deal, they can fly right back out' then it's not a concern
smile.png

Have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom