Window as chicken entry door...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickieNikki, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ChickieNikki

ChickieNikki Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a regular replacement window that we are considering using as the chicken's door in and out...open it during the day, close it at night. Anyone have any advice for/against using a window as the chicken door?

ETA: it's a single hung window--opens bottom up but not top down.

ETA: It will be mounted low so they can jump right onto their little ramp out. I will also make a little ramp inside if they need it, as it'll be about 6-8" off the floor to accommodate deep litter.

Thanks...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Is it located low in the coop or up high?

A window might work as a pop door if it were down low for them... they like getting in and out fast...at least mine do.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I can't see any major reason not to do it. I don't think it's that uncommon for people to do.

Only *possible* problems I can see is if a large strong predator gets on the other side of the closed window and wants to get to the chickens (b/c you obviously won't be able to treat the opening as you'd normally do for a coop window and cover it with hardwarecloth). I doubt that's a serious risk though especially if it opens into a reasonably secure run. And secondly, you may get wild birds flying in. If you figure 'big deal, they can fly right back out' then it's not a concern [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Smart thinking. I'd make sure it can't fall down though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by