Window installation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JaceAgain, Mar 4, 2014.

1. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    I have this great window I picked up at an antique store a while ago, and was thinking maybe I could install it somehow into my coop? I'm not quite sure what to google for how to install it into a coop though, I know the general idea on framing for a window, but am not sure how to actually put it in. It wont be able to open or anything, it'll just be a way to add lots of light for them. Anyone know any tutorials or did it yourself?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know what that window looks like. I don't know if the edges have angle irons or something special or if it is just squared off. maybe you could post a photo of the edges or just do a search on "installing windows tutorial" and find something that looks like the one you have.

That sounds like a great find.

3. JaceAgain

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    Here it is-
    [​IMG]
    Would I just frame it out and wood glue/ caulk it in? Ill have to pull off the latch thing on the side, but outside that its pretty square, 28x28. Do I sandwich it between 1x's?

4. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    I would cut out the hole, cover the hole with hardware cloth, then hang the window on the outside on hinges so you could open and close it. I live in FL and I look at everything as more ventilation and fresh air, lol.

Penny

5. JaceAgain

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    I cant even begin to imagine how to hang it on a hinge. Its heavy. We get hurricanes here too, having a glass window that can flap around sounds like a bad idea. Ill have lots of ventilation, a screen door and 1x3ft vents around the top of the coop.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd sandwich it between 1x1's.

7. RockyComfort

RockyComfort New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    SOUTHERN Illinois
    I would "sandwich" between framing, silicone joints then overlap slightly with trim.

8. keystone

keystone Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Omaha,NE
    Here is a great tool that I have used for years. It is a Kreg jig. It allows you to drill pocket holes and join two pieces of wood. This would work for your window. A pocket hole in each corner would be very strong and allow you to remove the window if necessary. You can buy it online or at a Lowes or Home Depot. If you can use a drill then you can make some amazing projects. Just an option.

9. JaceAgain

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
  10. keystone

keystone Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Omaha,NE
    I will take a pic of what I did with a window I installed in my barn and post it so you can see what I did. The basic kreg will work just fine but you will need a clamp to hold the jig in place.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by