1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Window Placement- Please help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Welshies, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    So, here is my coop drawing:
    [​IMG]
    NOTE: The shaded part on the roof was meant to be a skylight, but the roof is going to be solid now. It's 6' x 8', and 7' tall at the front, 6' tall at the back. there is approximately- not exactly- 1' of ventilation (that will be closable) along the top of the front and back walls. The squiggly lines are roosts (however, we are changing them up a bit, I think) and the boxes are nest boxes.
    If we put plexiglass along the short walls (6' long) for the 2' and the slant also, one both the north and south short walls, is that good window placement and lighting for a coop?

2. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    If you want to stick with tradition and what has been proven to work, move the door around the corner to the side we can't see, then put two very large windows (almost half as big as you show for the door) spaced across the front and face it south to the winter sun. Traditional windows were wood casement, which meant they had a solid wood frame, so could be hinged to tilt out. Option B, and the one I used on my windows, was to make them so they would slide sideways inside the wall. I used cheap vinyl windows from the box store. The track they ride on is a 2 x 4 nailed on horizontally. To open, you slide them sideways. To close, slide them shut. In warm weather, then are left open all the time.

What a person could use for ventilation is a rectangular shaped gable vent. It has loovers that point down to shed rain, but are open and all the time, including winter, and come with screens. They slip between standard 16" on center framing. It would look something like this:

[​IMG]

With vents like this, in combination with large opening windows, you can open it up or close it down as seasons dictate. BTW, putting the door on the side corner was not a whim either. On that particular east side corner was where they wanted it. When you opened the door, the birds moved to the far side and stayed calmer. That also left the entire south wall for light and ventilation, feed bins, waterers, etc., with roosts and nest boxes on the back or sides.

3. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Too late. We've already got this much done you see: [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by