Window Question....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by we3ernes, Dec 13, 2018.

1. we3ernes

we3ernes Songster

Jan 2, 2013
    China Spring, Texas
    Assuming you will have the same amount of ventilation when done....

Would you rather have many smaller windows (say 12 - 12"x32") or fewer larger windows (say 3 - 48"x32") For building and maintenance purposes it will be easier to have fewer larger windows, but I'm wondering if I would be sacrificing a certain amount of flexibility when it comes to adjusting levels of ventilation?

DobieLover likes this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I would prefer more small windows so it is easier to adjust ventilation depending on the weather conditions. Maybe a nice in between number.

3. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Crowing

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    We have four large windows, and the ability to open one entire side for ventilation. Having very hot weather in Texas, the large windows help a lot IMO!

Bryant Redhawk and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

Aug 22, 2017
    Los Angeles (Woodland Hills)
    I'd go with large hinged windows with sashing cord and tie down cleats. That way you can easily adjust how wide open and you can do a couple windows with just a few movements.

I'm in hot Southern California so my windows on 3 sides of the coop are wide open constantly.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Bryant Redhawk likes this.
  5. Bryant Redhawk

Bryant Redhawk Songster

May 11, 2015
    Vilonia, AR. USA
    I think this depends on both, where you are located and where the coop sits. For example, Our coop is in an area that is always in the shade so we put in smallish windows on two sides of the coop and the area just below the roof is open and wired inside and outside with predator proof 1/2 inch heavy gauge mesh wire. Our temps get up to 100+ in the summer but the coop stays about 25 degrees cooler than the ambient temp. We have plenty of ventilation for our conditions. If the coop was in the sun, even part of the day I would have added enough of these same windows to open the south wall since our winds tend to come from the north more than the south. The hotter the location, the more ventilation the chickens will need (above the required amount for healthy birds)

we3ernes likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Larger, within reason.
    Top hinged for sure...option of opening to varying degrees preferable.

we3ernes likes this.
  7. we3ernes

we3ernes Songster

Jan 2, 2013
    China Spring, Texas
    Framing them out right now. Going with two big ones behind the roosts and some narrow, between stud ones in the storage area. Waiting to decide on the run side until we figure out how we want to roof the run. I found a 4'x8' polycarbonate multi-wall panel at Home Depot that was cheaper than any other option. Trying to figure the best way to use every square inch of it.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Then you must already know the size ;)

Looking forward to seeing your build progress :D It's gonna be a good one, I just know it!

9. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Crowing

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    Are you going to have them all at the same height from the floor?

A couple of small ones at almost floor level will allow natural convection to help cool your coop in the TX summer ;)

10. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

Aug 22, 2017
    Los Angeles (Woodland Hills)
    Be sure to factor in some cross ventilation. When it's hot it will make a difference if you can get a natural airflow from one side to the other going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: