Windows and Floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by skunknchatter, Mar 3, 2009.

1. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    My hen house is a 6'x6' wafer board shed with big double doors that open the whole front side. It is only 4' high at the sides but 6' high in the center. I got it last fall and only had time to set it up on a cinder block "foundation" before the snow flew. So my questions are....

What works best for windows? I have cut two hinged windows in the front double doors and put chicken wire in them (for ventilation) but I want some more light in there. I just don't know if I should use glass or plexi or what.

AND

My coop needs a floor. What is the best way to do that? Should I use pressure treated lumber for "stilts" and do a deck top? Do I just leave the floor wood or do I need to put something water proof down? Or can I just waterproof the wood?

I don't have a ton of money to spend but I want to do this right. I don't want it to rot into the ground in a few years. Thanks in advance.

2. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    You could skip the floor and put in lots and lots of straw. A floor will eventually rot. But I am sure you thought of that.... [​IMG]

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I have glass windows that don't open, but I have alot of ventelation throught the roof gable. My floor is wood, and I treated it with a stain preservative. It will probably rot in 5 yeas or so but nailing down more plywood on top of what's existing won't be that difficult. I like having a floor in my coops, easy to keep clean, and nothing gets to your birds that way:>) You can also lay vinyl flooring in over the floor to prevent rot and make it even easier to clean

4. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I have small opening windows and a floor that is 3/4 inch with bedding on top of it. [​IMG]

5. skunknchatter

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I thought of straw on the floor but we get LOTS of snow here so in the spring (like right now) the coop is a muddy mess! I had to put boards down on the ground because my hens were ankle deep in mud. So that's why I thought a raised floor would be best. I was wondering if sheets of plastic (used for splash guards in salons and such) would work on the floor if the seams were sealed with silicon...

would plexi glass screwed to the cut openings work? I would frame the "windows" with wood after.

I'm going to make an open vent in the top of the back of the shed so, with the front windows open, air will flow through.

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    We have plexi in one window opening, and the others have used real windows that we picked up for cheap.

The real windows have wire mesh over them so we can open them and still have protection.

We have a wood floor and use lots of pine shavings & are careful about the waterers. Holding up well so far but only 1 year old.

Good luck.

7. skunknchatter

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I do have a duck in with my chickens so the water is an issue. He even makes a mess just drinking. He has a "pond" in the summer so we don't use a regular waterer but in the winter he makes a mess. Wonder if I could put the heated water bowl in a large shallow tub to cut down on mess?

Where did you pick up your windows? Were they just made the wrong size for someone or just on sale somewhere?

8. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    A real chicken house has no floor...only dirt [​IMG]

9. skunknchatter

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    Quote:What kinds of chicken houses have mud? [​IMG] I think I have that kind [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by