Windows and predators

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ellie, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Hi
    I stapled chicken wire on the inside of the holes I cut out for the windows in the chicken coop. I also cut plexiglass to fit in the holes from the outside. When the plexi is in, I know they are safe, however, I would like to take it off so it will be cooler now and in the spring/summer.

What would you put over the holes to make them safe? Welded wire... animal screen... regular screen?

I would appreciate your ideas and advice.

Thanks,
    Ellie

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Ellie,

I have "open" windows in our playhouse coop. I used some left-over 1/4" by 1/4" hardware cloth to cover them. Critters can't get in but the air can. Chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in, it doesn't keep anything out.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I would use hardware cloth. The holes are too small for anything to get through. Make certain you use screws to secure it because coons can pull out staples. Or staple and screw wood over top of that.

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have 1/2" hardware cloth over all my windows in the coop and the screen door. I nailed it on and have not had a problem.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Our coop is like yours, however, instead of chickenwire, we used hardware cloth, stapled to within an inch of its life! Then we put sliding plexiglass on the inside of the coop. The other poster was right - chickenwire keeps chickens in, but nothing out.

6. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks, everyone. I don't know why I put chicken wire on there instead of something stronger. It was the end of the day and I just wasn't thinking. Even though it is on the inside of the run, I still think they need something strong.

I have some hardware cloth and will get busy this weekend. I could probably use roofing nails and screws.

I appreciate your help.

Ellie

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Ellie, just so you know, a lot of people have chickenwire for their runs. And in order to make it so racoons don't reach in and grab a chick or hen, they line the bottom few feet with hardware cloth. So, chickenwire does have a use... (BTW, hardware cloth is hard to work with, hard to cut, and it snaps back and bites you, but it's worth the trouble...)

8. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    After seeing the foot prints 8 feet off the ground where the coon climbed the chicken wire to try to get in to my coop I'm not so sure just having welded wire or hardware cloth is all that secure for anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by