Windows and rain

triggfamily5

Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
Moorcroft, WY
What does everyone do about having windows open in the coop when they call for 20-30 % chance of rain everyday? Or those afternoon summer storms?

I work all day, and the new coop I am building is going to have windows in it for good summer ventilation, but I am concerned about rain getting in while I am gone.

I made my window frames and hinged them at the top. I can open them and lock them where I want them of if the weather is nice I can pop the hinge pins out and take the whole window off. Seemed to be the best of both worlds for me. And of course I can close them in winter...

I guess I forgot to mention that I plan on using old trailer house windows.... I got a bunch of them free
smile.png

I bought crank out shed windows on Ebay that have three pieces of glass that crank out at an angle to prevent rain from coming in. They were not real expensive and the quality is really good. I don't have them installed yet but they look like they will do just fine unless the rain blows straight in.

Quote:
birdicus 7, did you make the windows from scratch or did you find old fashioned windows and adapt them. I need to get at least another window in our coop and I really like this idea. I am pretty sure I have all the tools I would need to build the windows, I am not sure just how to go about it. If you have photos that might be good. Thanks. David

Last edited:
I made a doghouse once and used plant brackets to make a frame for a piece of wood.

PNI986.jpg

You attach it upside down after hacking off the curly cue on the end that you don't need. You can't close it though. It's real easy.

Last edited:
Quote:
birdicus 7, did you make the windows from scratch or did you find old fashioned windows and adapt them. I need to get at least another window in our coop and I really like this idea. I am pretty sure I have all the tools I would need to build the windows, I am not sure just how to go about it. If you have photos that might be good. Thanks. David

I made all of them from scratch. The window material is 1/8 in. plexiglas. Basically, I cut my 4 sides and then cut a slot in them with my
table saw for the plexi to go in. Then I made my corners, took an overall measurement for the plexiglas and assembled the windows.
The only issue for you would be window size. I wouldn't use 1/8 in. in a very large window. But you could use 1/4 in. My top ones that I consider vent windows are only 7 inches tall by 8 ft long. The others are 12"x16" and work great too. I will take some pictures this weekend and post them for you...I have one left to put together this weekend I'll take photos as I put it together for you. I also decided to add 2 more windows on a side but I haven't started them yet!

Never worry about it raining in, the chickens can take it and the pine shaving absorb it. I leave all the windows--casement that open from the bottom--wide open most of the summer. In the winter I crack them down from the top for ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom