Windows and Ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by silkwormlady, Mar 23, 2015.

1. silkwormlady

silkwormlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Good to use both windows and the little ventilation thingies people use to vent the crawl space etc of their house? Coop being built NOW. Oops I'm thinking ahead to zone 5 winter needs for ventilation without letting in tons of cold air

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    As long as you have a way of venting warm, moist air from the highest point in your coop, either or both should work. I have a South window that is left open at least a little bit all year round for ventilation, the birds tolerate the cold quite well.

3. silkwormlady

Standard house type window? Anything else on other walls?
    Thanks. What zone/state you in?

4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    foundation vents OR under the eaves vent plates will work well. You can mount them so that water will run off and not in

5. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    A regular house window that I picked up on clearance at Home Depot, the top slides down and the bottom up. I leave the top down at least an inch all year round. The coop has 2 other large windows as well, open all summer and closed all winter. The pop door is open all the time into an enclosed pen unless we get very cold (below 15) weather, or a cold wind out of the north.

The front faces west, the window in question is on the south side, I don't have a picture of that side.
    [​IMG]

6. silkwormlady

I see two buildings with the pen in between.what's the little one? What is a "pop door"? AND gonna brood 7 brand new chicks indoors til weather warmer ... Probably about 5 weeks +/-. We're going cheap route: dishwasher size box? Refrigerator size?

7. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    The main coop is on the right, you can see the little "pop door" opening into the run. The building on the left is my repurposed children's playhouse small (4x8) auxiliary coop for young birds and breeding projects.

I usually use a washing machine or dishwasher box for the first few weeks, then move either into a larger box or out into the small coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I should also say that usually the light is secured with 2 separate hangers to help decrease fire risk, just had not done it yet when these picture were taken -

9. silkwormlady

Yikes! So for 7 chicks inside until about theyre 5 weeks, I'm looking at a box bigger than a stove size??!! Is dust and dander a bad problem so I should keep box outta living area and put in big bathroom, door shut. No carport etc

10. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Yes they are VERY dusty. Do you have a coop set up yet? A lot of times you can rig heat inside the coop so when they get a little older and start feathering more they will be out of the house and have more space. They should be fully feathered and no longer need supplemental heat by 6 weeks of age. At that time they will be about half their adult size. I move mine out into the little coop with a heat lamp or brooder plate around 2 weeks of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by