Windows in my Coop

PoppiesChicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
We are building our coop now and the door faces south so the run will face north. I was wondering to get the best ventilation should I put a window on the north side and put a screen door on the south side. Or put a window on the east side to get more sun. I could probably put a window on both. Just wondering what would be best. Thanks for an input.

Windows would be good on the south and east sides for heat and sun.....on the the north side only if they seal well....as drafts are not good for chicks! Vents near the roof work best for ventilation as the height reduces drafts directly on the chickens. Good luck!

When installing windows in the coop, how do you open them if you have them covered with hardware cloth? Do you install them backwards so they open from the outside? Do you put the hardware cloth on the outside and go in the coop to open the windows? Sorry, I'm a newbie!!

Quote:
I've seen people do it both ways, some like to install the windows backwards to open from the outside, some already have windows installed in a shed and just install the hardware cloth on the outside. It's really up to you! If your coop is not big enough to walk into you might want to install the windows backwards to make it easier to open/close.

I put my windows on the east and west side of my coop so they can get morning and evening light.
I used old storm windows and put them in backwards, so I can open from the outside, to reveal the screen. But also put chicken wire on inside. Check out my BYC page to see.

Thanks for the input! I still have to find some windows that fit. I hate to cut th:)e studs so I'm trying to find some that fit in between. My little chickies are quickly outgrowing the baby pool I have them in.

Back
Top Bottom