Windows necessary?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lizard Lady, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Lizard Lady

Lizard Lady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    When I moved here two years ago the coop and one hen was already here. The inside was gross, so the first thing I did (after major research) was clean the inside well, lay down new straw, install a perch, hang the feeder, and buy a metal trash can to put the feed in (mice were getting to the feed). The coop is nice, probably about 7-8' tall, 5' X 5-6' wide. There is a space along the top to make sure there's circulation, and a door. There are no windows. I keep seeing these fabulous coops with functional windows, and I was wondering how important that is. I mean, it's dark in there, even with the gaps up top.

Would you all suggest installing a window? I'm planning on increasing the run for the days when my girls (and boy) can't free roam, so I wanted to know if a window should be on my list of Coop Updating.

(Sorry if this message doesn't make much sense. I'm nursing a stomach bug!)

2. Redgolden1

Redgolden1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Upton ma.
    I bought 2x2 sliding windows at lowes for 40 bucks each I have a 10x12 coop with 5 windowsit is nice to have the freedom to adjust the air flow

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I would. It makes it easier to work in there and I like a big east window high enough for the morning sun to get to the hens on the roost. That activates the pineal gland to stimulate laying. People say a south window but by the time the sun comes from the south they're already outside. A south window is worse in the summer too.
    Another concern is sufficient ventilation.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I like to have both hardware cloth and screen over openings to keep both large predators out as well as flies and mosquitos.

5. Lizard Lady

Sep 29, 2011
    That's actually a great idea, thank you!

6. Lizard Lady

Sep 29, 2011
    I have some old windows that were left by the previous owners up in the attic. I think I'll replace the screening with hardware cloth. You rock! Thanks!

7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Yes, cut some holes and install some windows. It's a fact that chickens do a lot better in a lit and airy space, than a dark, dank dungeon. I got all the windows for my coop off EBAY, cheap. A couple of them slide open for the warmer months, and slide closed for the cold. The other two are hinged at the top. I don't know about regular window screen in a coop though, I would think it would get quickly clogged with dust. And would just be something else to clean.

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's true. The coop that has screens, I have to take a shop vac to them every couple months.

9. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Yes on the windows!

The ladies can to do some sunbathing on the cold days and you can see any insect infestations easier!

And the "space along the top to make sure there's circulation" I'd cover with 1/2" hardware cloth. Keep unwanteds from crawling in after the ladies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by