1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. 4boyz

4boyz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Hello! I just found a great buy on a used chicken coop. The previous owners did not put in enough ventilation so I am planning on cutting a hole in the side and putting in a window. I have seen windows in the coops section that hinge on the top and are held open by a stick etc. Do you buy these windows like this or make them? Any recommendations on where to buy or how to make them would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for a window that is roughly 3' X 2'. We are looking for the most inexpensive way.

Thanks!

2. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    The style window you are talking about is an awning window. You could make one yourself with an old window sash and hinges or order one from Lowe's or Home Depot.
    Good Luck!

3. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Easiest way is to cut out the hole for the window, save the wood, attach the piece of wood to the outside of the coop with two hinges, cover the inside of the window with hardware cloth...and you have your window.

Like this....

Closed...
    [​IMG]

Open (we hold it open with a hook and eye):

[​IMG]

4. 4boyz

4boyz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Thank you so much! You guys are fabulous!

5. basmith24

basmith24 New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    Another great cheap way is with a 3' by 2' piece of plexiglass. They make acrlyic glass in a range of sizes these. Cut a hole, hardware cloth the inside (of course) and stick velcro on the coop and glass. It makes for a perfect window to let light in in the winter months and you can use intermediate pieces of velcro to keep the window half open. Great rain protection as well, just make sure the soft side of the velcro is on the plexiglass side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by