1. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    I have built a hen coop and haven't put a window in to let in light. Will this affect egg laying. My hens arrive in a few days so I could put one in

2. cntrywmnkw

cntrywmnkw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    They need at least 12hrs of sunlight to produce eggs. Will you be letting them outside during the day to get sun & just use the coop roosting & laying eggs? I would put at least one window in that is protected, they also need good ventilation, otherwise they can get respiratory problems.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You don't actually need windows for light. If you plan on adding light to increase laying in winter a florescent bulb on a timer would do that. Chickens need to be let out in mornings and will put themselves back in coop at dusk so use all the natural lighting the days provide. Good ventilation is important but you don't need windows to achieve it.

4. paddyg84

Mar 5, 2013
    Good stuff then :) will they lay during the day then when it's light? Or will the eggs be there when I let them out in te morning?

5. paddyg84

Mar 5, 2013
    They will be let out first thing in the morning when I leave for work and then put in when it gets dark. Have an enclosed run for them to run around in. The coop has decent ventilation. Ps I'm in Ireland so won't be getting much sun lol just daylight

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    They lay during the day. At what time of day is determined by what time you wake them in morning. Say you want to add artificial light to keep them at high production in winter, four to five hours after they are awoken they should have laid eggs. If you turn on the light at 4 am then you'd expect almost all of the eggs laid by 9 am.

If you use artificial lighting you need to have water and food available to them in the coop. You'd have the light on a timer to turn off shortly after you let them out in morning. Here daylight is as late as 7:30 am in winter and shorter than 9 hours total so if I provided lighting I'd have the timer set from 4 am to 8 am. This would provide my birds with minimum of 12 hours light during the dark months.

7. paddyg84

Mar 5, 2013
    Thanks for the advice :)

8. lesgo54

lesgo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    spencer, tn
    real good advice here, thanks for sharing

9. bbgrimes

bbgrimes New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi there. I am new to chickens, so I won't try to weigh in on windows vs. no windows, but, if you decide to add a window to your coop, others on BYC pointed me to Shed-windows.com, which carries windows, vents and other things that you might put in a garden shed, but are also very useful for coops. I got the crank-out window, seen here http://www.shed-windows.com/Crank-Out-Shed-Window.html for my small coop because I could control the ventilation better, and it looks really nice without costing a fortune.

10. MrsWeasley

MrsWeasley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    I will also add to look and see if there is a Habitat for Humanity resale shop in your area. We got four windows for our coop for less than $20 (two of which open for ventilation).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by