1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    I am planning to build new in the spring. whats your opinion on size of window and which side of coop to put window.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I like an Eastern window. It gets the first light of day to maximize day length.
    Most people will tell you to use south windows. Nonsense. A south window doesn't help daylength if chickens are outdoors. The chickens are out till dusk so the south window doesn't help there.
    They also surmise that it helps with temperature in winter. Nonsense.
    A south window at 2 PM in August will add to the heat problems.
    A south window at 2 AM in January will do nothing to keep a coop warm.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't have windows at all. I have large sections of the wall made of hardware cloth, and an overhanging roof. Where do you live? Unless it is where you will have good snowfalls, they need air flow more than enclosed shelter. This thread is about coops for us southerners, but the truth is, in the summer, flocks even in the northern US wouls apreciate this kind of setup:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops/0_20

Probably the biggest mistake people make, besides making too enclosed a coop, is too little space. Here is an excellent post on that subject (post #13:)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/839687/beginner-flock-questions/0_20#post_12386271

4. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    I live in southern virginia

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You are plenty far south to plan for summer heat. Chickens don't need heat til well below zero, but they can die at 100. In the summer they need breeze and shade. On very cold nights they shouldn't have a breeze on the roost area, but in summer they will be grateful for it.

If you plan to try to maximize egg output with light, which some do and some don't, you can do it with a 40W lamp and a $10 timer. I have tried both methods and did not see that I got any more eggs when I added light. Even in winter, the coop needs to be open enough that they see daylight with doors closed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by