Wine Caps in the Run

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Pater est Pullis, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Does anyone have experience growing Stropharia rugosoannulata (Wine Cap) mushrooms in the chicken run? The following web site https://mushroommountain.com/products/king-stropharia-clemson-stropharia-rugoso-annulata claims; "Perfect mushroom for gardening and permaculture projects, it can also be used to mulch the floors of livestock pens and chicken runs, as this mushroom is predatory on coliform bacteria and can help keep your coops clean and not as smelly!" I ordered some, to give it try. Anybody else have any input on this?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I don't think they'd do very well in the run, b/c the chickens would be scratching and digging and disrupt the mycelium.

I had my first experience growing wine caps in my BTE style garden last summer. I put the spawn under my swing set that acts as a trellis for my pole beans. Had a modest harvest. I'll plant that area to greens this spring, hoping for a few more flushes of wine caps there. I saved a few spore prints, and am hoping that those will spawn a new patch elsewhere.

3. Another option, I've been thinking, is to plant around the perimeter of the run, allowing mycelium to spread in and out from the run.

canalcolt likes this.
  4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    What do you get for sun/shade there? And what are you going to use for a growing medium? Do you have access to water to keep things moist?

5. I have access to water, semi shaded, by hardwoods and pines. I was going to use existing semi composted, plant/leaf material, maybe mix in some wood chips, as growing media.

6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Be sure to come back and post your results.

7. Sure will, have you tried growing morel mushrooms? I just put in a couple beds, found some greats spots in the yard.
    20180209_145435[1].jpg 20180209_143547[1].jpg

8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Nope. wine cap is all I've experienced. Would love to have a 'shrooming mentor!

Pater est Pullis likes this.
  9. Won't know if the morels are a success for a year or two, spring next year at the earliest.

10. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    Damn, I was hoping this was a post about chickens with a drinking problem......

:D

::: I'll see myself out :::

deepbluesea and Pater est Pullis like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: