Wine Cooler Egg Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Scifisarah, May 4, 2009.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    I found a cheap 6 bottle wine cooler on craigslist, and was wondering if anyone on the forum has used a wine cooler to make a homemade egg incubator with success. Do you think it would be suitable?

[​IMG]

2. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I would think as long as it will hold heat it would work....if not for an incubator I bet turned on it's side(door open up) it would make a nice brooder...lol

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Well it has to hold cooler temperature, so it should be well insulated. I'm sure it would hold heat just as well. I'd definitely give it a try!

4. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    I think it will work perfect. It should hold heat good. If you just put good components in it like good wafer or electronic thermostat and reliable heat source.

5. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Uh, maybe it's just me... but I'd make a cabinet incubator from wood, and keep that for wine. I can give you some names of great wineries that ship through the mail. You could pick up boxes of chicks, eggs, and wine at the post office all in the same trip.

6. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Wow I think that would be great. Good lookin too!

7. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    If I wanted to torture my pregnant self, I guess I could stock a cooler full of wine [​IMG]

8. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:Ahh, poor thing. I've been there too. This soon shall pass. Remember, all things in moderation, and babies are always a blessing.

My mother used to sneak into the house while I was at work, do all the babies laundry and slip a note that says "Babies are always a blessing" onto the table. It just shows you how important your current "hatching-mode" is, and that it will last many,many years from now. Perhaps when you're sneaking in to do laundry for your tired child in 35 years from now.

I'd get that wine chiller and make yourself a hatcher extraordinare. You've definately got the hatching vibe about you now.

9. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Wow, I'd invest in some quality components for that! That could be one "xxxx" quality incubator if its done right... Good-luck! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  10. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    I am excited now! I wonder if the digital temp. display on the front goes up to the triple digits? I doubt the maker ever imagined anyone would want to heat wine over 100 degrees [​IMG] I was looking for a free mini fridge to make into the incubator, but this one would be so pretty, I guess I can handle the $35 since the rest of it will be pretty cheap or free. I remember wistfully looking at the new $160 ones at Lowes a few months ago and thinking what lovely incubators they would make. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by