Wing clip or not to clip...If so how?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Notus, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Notus

Notus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014
    Personally I wing clip all my birds. Prefer to beauty clip leaving three furthest out flight feathers and clipped both sides.
    Yourselves how and why?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Hi! Welcome to BYC! I do not clip. We currently have no real issues with the chickens flying too far and I think it gives them an advantage to get away from a predator. Personal preference. One of the ladies I got some of my chickens from does clip all her chickens wings. She told me to only clip one side. She said if you do both, they will still be balanced and be able to fly. By clipping only one side it throws them off balance.

1 person likes this.
  3. DallasCriftins

DallasCriftins Chillin' With My Peeps

For Chickens I found it a complete waste of time, my Araucana Roosters could still get up and over a 2M high fence with one or both wings clipped to get to the hens

It works quite well on Geese though!

[​IMG]

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    @DallasCriftins I LOVE YOUR SECURITY SIGN!![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Notus

Notus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014
    Familiar with that approach. My opinion is that single wing clip creates an imbalance and can harm the bird as crash lands. They are called flight feathers for a reason.
    Yes, I have muscovies, chooks and geese and so makes sense with regard to the weight of the bird.
    Only not all keepers have a take of and landing strip. Ha fun times chasing ducks that suddenly found their wings.

But this is chooks and backyard not my 6 acres, my mothers 110^2 feet. Six foot fenced.
    We could run ropes to prevent incoming and outgoing. But at home, 3 foot electrified fence might keep the foxes out, but how does one keep the birds in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by