wing cliping

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by raybo2000, Sep 9, 2008.

1. raybo2000

raybo2000 New Egg

Sep 7, 2008
    greenville s.c.
    how to do it and is it hard. have some new hens and they can fly over 8ft fence

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Its not hard and it doesn't hurt them if done properly. Just cradle your hen in one arm, extend the wing until the larger feathers spread apart, sort of like fingers. These are the primaries, or flight feathers. Just clip them off about an inch to two inches from their base. Do not go any shorter than this, as you may cut into the actual flesh. Clipping one wing is more detrimental to flight than clipping both, they say. If I have a particularly persistent bird, I will not only clip the primaries but the secondaries as well, and both wings. I call this the "prison cut" for all repeat escapees! [​IMG]

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Check out the Learning Center. They have photos that show you just where and how to clip the wings. I had my DW help me with some birds that just wouldn't stay in the chicken yards. I thought she was going to cry for one hen that wanted no part of being clipped.

4. ecajean

ecajean Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Foothills of CA
    I had to cut those primary wings all the way to the secondary wings. With 2" only cut on the primaries, they still flew the coop! I just was very carefull as to not cut flesh for sure!

5. raybo2000

raybo2000 New Egg

Sep 7, 2008
    greenville s.c.
    ;)thanks all . looks like im going to have to try it lol

6. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    the 2 hens ive got i take it to the pet shop, the clip it for free for me...

7. I'M On Island Time

I'M On Island Time Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Chain O'Lakes IL
    I love the "prison cut!" Absolutely hilarious!

I do that with my repeat escapees, as well. I trim them all the way down to the skin. They look funny, but I think they are a bit cooler in the summer, actually, and they can't jump the fence and get into my neighbor's mulch.

It is easier with two people. My hubby holds them so they can't kick me and I stretch the wing out and give it a trim.

8. ecajean

ecajean Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Foothills of CA
    Oh and just so you know, don't use your kid's school cissors, you know the Kindergarten/1st grader kinds...they won't cut, lol. I know because I couldn't find my utility cissors so I tried to cut with what I could find. [​IMG]

9. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by