Wing clipping not effective

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by greyrose, Mar 7, 2014.

1. greyrose

greyrose New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    I've clipped the wing of my rooster, but he can still get over the fence. It is only 4 feet high. I even clipped the secondary feathers as well as the primary feathers. He is not flying as much, but he still flies. I only clipped one wing. Is there anything else I can do to keep him from getting over the fence?

2. Tether.

3. Chickens can jump 4' high. A 4' fence to a rooster is like a common stair to us.:cd

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Clip other wing. My games cannot quit muster a 36" vertical jump without at least some help from wings. Properly clipped your birds will not be able clear 4-foot fence.

5. greyrose

greyrose New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    I clipped his other wing yesterday, and it seems that he is no longer getting over the fence. I guess it just seemed that most people thought that clipping one wing was more effective. Thanks!

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

For proper flight clipping one wing likely best but when birds are clambering and using wing(s) more for thrust then both trimmed better.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I've always found that clipping both wings was necessary, and have never understood the advice to clip only one wing. IMO, one wing clipping is for parrots, not for chickens.

8. greyrose

greyrose New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    The rooster got over the fence again today. I think I'm going to try to give him away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by