Wing clipping on babies????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stacyoung13, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I hope this is the right forum::

I have a 4 week old Polish who is very flighty. She will try to fly off every little chance she gets. She is completely feathered out. Is it ok to clip her wings? Is she too young?

2. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    As long as you don't cut too far up I don't see what the harm would be.

Stacyoung13 likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

They all become a bit flighty and personally I'd not clip young wings ..

getaclue likes this.
  4. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I know they all get flighty, believe me, I’ve had my share!! LOL. But Chilly is real bad...she has already taken off twice. If it wasn’t for her finally crying because she was alone/afraid, I may not have found her. I want to keep her here in the yard where she is safe. I don’t usually clip wings...only one other time, but sometimes you gotta, just to keep them safe. I just need to know if she is old enough? Thank You :hugs

5. chickens really

I was told not to clip till after juvenile molt at around 3 to 4 months because wings need to strengthen.

Chickassan and getaclue like this.
  6. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    I would not clip her wings. Mine did this too. Is she is a brooder? I put fencing over mine to keep them in.

Chickassan and getaclue like this.
  7. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    My opinion: if she is old enough to get into life-threatening trouble, she is old enough to clip. You would do whatever is necessary to keep a three-year old out of traffic, right? It's not ideal, but is it better to let her go over your fences where a fox can get her?

8. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ok, thank you!! I guess I will keep chasing her whenever she is able to get away!!

9. chickens really

I would till her wings get stronger from carrying the natural weight..

10. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    She is in the brooder at night... during the day they are in a playpen I made out of screen. First time she took off was when I opened the brooder to put them in the playpen, she flew off. They others jump up and perch on the edge. By the time I got the others back in the brooder, I couldn’t find her. Just a matter of a minute or two and gone. About 15 minutes later I heard her crying on the other side of the privacy fence, (6ft). Last time was out the playpen door and over the fence. I couldn’t find her until she started crying. She is causing some Gray hairs that I don’t need!!! LOL
    403AB2D4-3B5D-4E56-9EA9-F98F613E62C7.jpeg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: