Wing clipping on young chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mamacara, May 11, 2016.

1. mamacara

mamacara New Egg

Jun 29, 2015
    Vancouver Island
    Hi I'm pretty new to having chickens, I have 6 chick's that are about 8 or 9 weeks old, 5 MaranX and one unknown. They are starting to flutter about in their run and I'm worried about them getting out, but i can't find any info on clipping wings of young chick's.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I don't recommend doing that. I would try and cover the top of their brooder, mine go to that point and covering it worked great.

3. mamacara

mamacara New Egg

Jun 29, 2015
    Vancouver Island
    Unfortunately that's not an option for us as they have far outgrown their brooder and are outside in their coop and run. I don't think they could actually get out but I wasn't sure if clipping their wings this young was possible or not.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I guess it is possible but I think you should wait until fully grown.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cover the run?
    You'd have to be very careful clipping chicks wings, harder to spot blood feathers, and they will be growing another set soon anyway.
    If you do clip a blood feather, fully pluck the feather immediately to stop bleeding.

6. chickengal512

chickengal512 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
    North Dakota
    Clipping their wings takes away their only source of defense. If a predator gets in their pen theyll try to fly, but they cant if their wings are clipped, they cant protect themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by