Wing clipping questions...

Spellbound4u

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
Hello! I have some questions regarding wing clipping. I had my first jail break today. One of my California White Leghorns ended up in a neighbors yard. They are about 12 weeks old and I also have Lavender Orpingtons and Golden Laced Wyandottes, but the whites are the problem children. Lol. I am planning in having their wings clipped. (Along with adding chicken wire to the top of the fence) My questions are - is doing 1 wing better than doing both? And should I just clip the wings of the whites since they are the flighty kids? Any thoughts and advice would be wonderful! TIA

Hello! I have some questions regarding wing clipping. I had my first jail break today. One of my California White Leghorns ended up in a neighbors yard. They are about 12 weeks old and I also have Lavender Orpingtons and Golden Laced Wyandottes, but the whites are the problem children. Lol. I am planning in having their wings clipped. (Along with adding chicken wire to the top of the fence) My questions are - is doing 1 wing better than doing both? And should I just clip the wings of the whites since they are the flighty kids? Any thoughts and advice would be wonderful! TIA
Can you post pictures of your fence? How high is it?

When I clip wings I do both. Some people say one is fine. Some say it is bad for balance. Of my 17 chickens I have only clipped the wings of the 3 escape artists. It hass TOTALLY fixed the problem. Here is a picture showing how to do it. It was actual really easy and the girls did not object at all.

OIP.jpg

Just watch for blood feathers, especially when re-clipping after a molt. Cut one feather at a time, looking closely at what you're doing.

I don't know if a chicken can bleed out from cut blood feathers the way cockatiels and budgies can, but even if not, it can't be good for them.

If you *do* accidentally cut a blood feather, pulling the feather is the best way to stop the bleeding. Needlenose pliers and a smooth, firm pull work best.

(I never cut a blood feather, but my one lutino cockatiel was easily freaked out and broke them occassionaly when panicking over a bug, a car horn, etc.).

My questions are - is doing 1 wing better than doing both? And should I just clip the wings of the whites since they are the flighty kids?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Clipping one wing makes it challenging to fly very far in a straight line. Clipping both.. removes lift.. according to my experience. I would ONLY clip the offenders.. out of hundreds of birds I've only ever had to clip 2-3.

Maybe some clues or helpful hints and input from several sources..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-containment-with-perimeter-fencing.1261276/

Once the bird has learned they can't make it.. you might not have to clip again after molt as they've already had that habit broken. Make sure there isn't things stacked near by that give a boost up as they can still hop quite a ways even after the lift has been diminished. Although my after molt comment is about the adult molt.. not mini molts of juveniles.. hmmm! :pop

Best wishes on containment! :fl

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Clipping one wing makes it challenging to fly very far in a straight line. Clipping both.. removes lift.. according to my experience. I would ONLY clip the offenders.. out of hundreds of birds I've only ever had to clip 2-3.

Maybe some clues or helpful hints and input from several sources..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-containment-with-perimeter-fencing.1261276/

Once the bird has learned they can't make it.. you might not have to clip again after molt as they've already had that habit broken. Make sure there isn't things stacked near by that give a boost up as they can still hop quite a ways even after the lift has been diminished. Although my after molt comment is about the adult molt.. not mini molts of juveniles.. hmmm! :pop

Best wishes on containment! :fl
So I should clip just the 2 fliers and both wings you think? So they can't get high enough to get over the fence?

So I should clip just the 2 fliers and both wings you think? So they can't get high enough to get over the fence?
Just the 2 flyers, yes.

Maybe start with a single wing clip and see what the outcome is. Then move on and do the second side if needed. Every situation is unique so there isn't always ONE right answer unfortunately. :hmm

Just the 2 flyers, yes.

Maybe start with a single wing clip and see what the outcome is. Then move on and do the second side if needed. Every situation is unique so there isn't always ONE right answer unfortunately. :hmm
Thank you so much for your advice! I just want my babies to stay home and be safe.

Back
Top Bottom