Wing Clipping with 6' Fence?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldtopper, Nov 1, 2010.

1. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    I will get my first batch of chicks in Spring. Having had no previous experience with chickens, I should ask- Do I need to clip their wings if I have a 6' wooden fence?
    They'll free range during the day, otherwise I have a 12' A frame coop/run for protection/confinement.
    Thanks!

2. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I also have a six foot fence and my chickens could clear it. I did end up clipping one wing and putting deer netting over the top to keep them in their run. You know the saying "where there is a will there is a way" chickens also use this as their motto!

3. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    clip one wing. 6' wood fence here and it was not a problem goin over till the clipping.

4. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a typical split rail fence with vinyl coated wire attached. Not even 5 feet I am sure. They never leave the yard. I guess they have plenty of space and stuff to do. and have food available at all times

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  5. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

My girls have plenty of space and food, but at the end of the day they're still birds with bird-like instincts and WILL eventually try to fly. The leghorn was REAL flighty and was the first to get a wing clipped. All 6 of my girls have each had one wing clipped twice in their lives, and they are roughly 7 months old. The youngest one, the EE/american game mutt chick that I acquired in July at 3 days of age has had to be clipped only once, but she is flighty. They can fly up to the top of the henhouse, and from there it's only a hop over the fence into No Man's Land, where the big mean dog lives next door. I would hate for one of my girls to become a doggie snack, so I clip them. It's not a big deal and does not hurt the birds, though they do not exactly love the process.

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I have a 4' chainlink fence, 2 girls went over twice but came right back (waited for me to open gate 1st time) 2nd time I just said you come back here and they did [​IMG] , I think it depends how big the flock is and type of bird I don't clip any of mine they seem to know its safer to stay in the confines of the fence the 2 that flew over are the flightiest out of the 4 and they can indeed fly, so I would play it by sight, although a few weeks ago I did make a covered run for them because the hawks found out where they live, and better safe then sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by