wing clipping

Maougna

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2015
O.K. , so I'll start a new thread and maybe I'll have more chance of a reply . I'm interested to know why it's necessary to clip wings . I have three ducks and a drake and they fly around sometimes but never leave the area . They have a nice pond and seem very happy so I don't know why they would . Now one of the ducks has had babies so what I'd like to know is why people clip the wings of their ducks . Why would a duck leave it's territory if it's happy ?

I don’t think they usually intend to leave for good – they just decide to explore, and then get lost. Or maybe it just never crosses their mind that they’ll be leaving their happy life. Or maybe they fly around, having fun testing their wings, and then crash land somewhere and can't figure out how to get back. Not all ducks will fly away, I don’t think, many will simply fly around, and if they get a little ways out of their normal territory, they just come back.

Before I started clipping my ducks’ wings, I had two that flew away. One was back the next day (she didn’t go far, although we couldn’t find her), and the other never came back. I was so sad. I decided never to take the risk again.

If a duck got off my property, there is 0.01% chance it will ever make it back. If I lived in a more open area, then I might not worry so much.

If you have close neighbors, they probably wouldn't appreciate a duck accidentally landing on their porch (and if they have dogs it could get worse).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom