1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wing Clipping

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peepshow, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Peepshow

Peepshow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Hi everyone,

I hope I've put this in the right place.

We have a 16 hen flock in our backyard. Our Doms (4 of em) are escaping over the fence and one of our Delawares successfully landed on the fence top (6 footer). This greatly concerns me because over the double fence along the back of our yard is a pair of blood thirsty dogs (hence the 2 fences we put between us).

I hate to do it but for safety reasons we need to trim their wings. Can you recommend a type of scissors or clippers that will be sharp enough for us to trim the ladies down? I don't want to mangle the poor gals and since this will be a regular event, want to go ahead a get the right tool for the job.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    Regular scissors work just great.
    They only need to be cut once a month.

I had to do my Polishes wings. We have 2 acres of land. One half is flat and the other half is a big drop into the woods(gully)..Trying to find a nice place to lay an egg... [​IMG]

I know what you mean........
    Just did the parakeets yesterday. Especially when I kept hearing constant splats in my windows lol

3. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I use a pair of Kobalt brand scissors that I bought at Lowes. They are titanium plated (i think) but they work really really good, never have a problem with them at all.

4. Peepshow

Peepshow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Thanks for the help. We entertained the neighbors running down all 16 gals and trimming them up. Was quite a humorous feat [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by