Wing clipping

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justino, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    ok, my chicken thats flys good i cut her 1 wings flight feather aLOT!now she flew over my neibores fence and im like "WTH?I just clipped her wing and she can still fly?" so now i dont know what to do....im thinkin about cutting the other wing....has anyone done this before?

*edited title to reflect the subject matter.*

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  2. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Do not cut the other one she will adjust and be back in the same boat as before.

Get a book or go online to find a photo of the proper length, is it possible it could use a l ittle more clipping? I cannot think of any thing else

3. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:its clipped like as short as it goes

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Did you use the wing clipping guide here:

http://backyardchickens.com/LC-wingclipping.html

Some determined chickens can still flap their wings and run up and over a fence even with a wing clipped and you may just have to keep them in a pen.

I have a pen full of hens called "the rascals" that can escape from anywhere and that always fly into the neighbor's back pasture... where the dog is. Those birds got flight netting over an extra large pen and they dont get to free range for their own safety.

Chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by