Wing clipping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Miss Red, May 12, 2010.

1. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I've heard so many different things from so many different people I figured I would just get one mass opinion on here.

Younger, flighty [game] birds get their wings clipped around here so that they can't fly out of the coops and are less likely to put themselves in bad situations once it's time to be tamed. I have ALWAYS clipped the right wing, and the right wing only. Right now I have four chicks out of thirty caught, the rest are still to small to separate from their mothers.

What I'm asking is, on birds who you have to clip wings on... do you clip one wing? Both? Have you found clipping a certain side makes it less likely that the birds will fly?

Is it true that birds who learn to fly at early ages [the four chicks I have now I plucked from a thirty foot branch about twenty minutes ago] will still be able to JUMP higher than the average bird?

I'm curious to hear what others think on wing clipping, how they do it, why, etc.
  2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I clip wings too because if mine get out they are food for dogs,hawks and I clipped the left wing because my husband held them and spread the wing out facing me so that's the one I did. I only clip one they can fly with both done. I have mostly dual purpose chicks and by the time the feathers grow back they are too heavy to fly much because they aren't used to being able too....I have turkeys now and they are going to need clipping too I can't net it completely where they are going so for safety I've got to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by