Wing Clipping

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by oreochip, May 15, 2010.

1. oreochip

oreochip Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Fort Worth
    My Prudy went over the fence today into the neighbors yard.[​IMG] Tried to entice Maude and Dixie to go too but I caught them in mid flight.[​IMG] They are 4 months old and getting bored in the free ranging. Neighbors were nice enough with helping get her back but I don't want to do this all the time. I know I need to clip wings but it worries me. Some owners say do it and some say no. I have never tried it because I am affraid of clipping too close. Any input would be appreciated.

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  3. oreochip

oreochip Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Thank you for the link. I think we will give it a try tomorrow. Everyone is settled in for the evening but all three know that they are in trouble for todays antics. [​IMG]

4. kannm

kannm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    We have to clip. Better clipped wings than killed by a dog. Our chickens have never complained, the less docile ones throw a little fit being held.

5. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Definitely clip only one wing, that hobbles them, throws them off balance and makes flying very difficult. Clip two wings and they'll just flap harder and can still probably get of your fence.

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    FYI - I sent the wrong l in, but it will work - the one I was thinking of is in 'Raising Chickens for Dummies' - that's how I did it - pics and everything, was a good tool for wing clipping

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by