wing clipping

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rebel yell, Oct 15, 2011.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I hope this is the right place for this, but anyhow, has anyone had to clip the wing on any of your birds to stop them from flying out of the pen, I know I need to put tops on them but my pens are big & cant realy afford to put tops on them, I know clipping one wing can usuly stop them from flying over the fence, but will it hurt anything elese, I dont think it will but anybody got any input on this ?

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Quote:I clipped mine I clipped both wings though. [​IMG]

3. Uncle Marc

Uncle Marc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    I would like to piggy back on your question. We clipped the wings of the chickens we had years ago, and it seemed to work. What I want to know now is how it will affect their ability to get into nesting boxes about 3 feet off the floor and up onto the roosts, which will be about 4-5 feet off the floor.

4. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I have not clipped any of my chickens, but I have clipped my ducks. I clipped the first 10 main flight feathers (the longest ones) on just one wing. I clipped them to the length of the shorter ones beside and beneath them...careful not to clip too short. Doing one wing puts them off balance so they can't fly. They can still flutter and get up on lower platforms, perches, branches, etc.. I don't think it has prevented them from getting around too bad. If you let your chickens free range in a large, open area I do not suggest clipping their wings as it will slow them down and make them easier for predators to catch.

5. NorthestGeorgia14

NorthestGeorgia14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Rome Ga
    can you do that to chukar?

6. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've clip both wings, never had problem.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Birds with clipped wings can and will hop up on roosts and nests that high with no problem. Speaking from experience, I dont recommend having roosts and nests that high up especially if you have heavy breed birds. When they hop down they can end up spraining their leg, pulling a tendon or ligament when landing on the floor so hard. Then they end up in the hospital cage recuperating. Some heal, some dont...depending on the severity of the injury. I recommend you lower your roosts and nests like I did.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  9. MissClaraCluck

MissClaraCluck Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I clipped one wing of my Buff Orpington hen, but she could still jump over a 3 foot mesh fence. I think it depends on how determined they are to get over. I don't think she could get high enough to clear a 5 ft fence though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by