wing clipping

rugerr1

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 24, 2013
ALA
I want to start letting my birds start ranging, bit I do t want them to get over my fence. So if I clip there wing, will they still be able to get over my 6' privacy fence? The hens are half Americana and half new hampshire red, and my rooster is a silver laced wyndotte.

I have a fence about the same size and have never had a problem with my girls going over it. They will fly up to the kids playset and have done some distance across the yard, yet still they seem to know where home is. I 'free range' them from dawn to dusk...I use the quotes because we don't have the largest yard in the world...

Basically I don't plan on clipping...

I'm on the fence (pun intended) about clipping my girls wings. I have a 40" high electric net fence, and several of the girls have flown over it. At first it was accidental, most recently it was deliberate. I'm occasionally letting them out to free range when I'm in the yard to supervise them, so they now know that there's good eating on the other side of the fence. The dilemma is that they won't be able to as easily elude predators if they are clipped.

Decisions, decisions! I just don't want them fence hoping
If you have a 6 foot fence I would be a bit surprised if they attempted it. Especially since you have standard size birds. I keep mine in my pasture easily and I only have a 48 inch fence. None of them have ever even shown interest in getting over it. So you might just let them out and hang out with them and see what happens. I think they'll be scratching and foraging and not giving a fence of that height a second thought.

That said, if it's something you are very concerned about and you just want some peace of mind about it then go ahead and clip one wing on each bird. No big deal and they'll certainly grow back in at the next molt if you decide later it's not needed.

Last edited:
I have a 48 inch fence and my blue andulusians have no problem flying rite over it . I have a jack russel terrier who has killed some of my flock and now we putt the fence up to deter her butt they fly rite over it

Back
Top Bottom