1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wing feather development for sexing??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HaileyandJoliesMom, Aug 24, 2008.

1. HaileyandJoliesMom

HaileyandJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I read somewhere that Cockerels wing tips develop slower than pullet wing tips, is that true? My babies are 12 days old and some of their wings are much shorter than others. I have others of the same breed in the batch that have longer wings so I dont believe the breed is simply a "slow starter".

Any tips would be appreciated!!!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    One of the things I used to determine sex of mine was by the wing bows, not the tips. I know my cockerels were pretty bare across the wing bows long after my girls feathered out there. Here, take a look at this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48329

Section #2 talks on the original post talks about wing bow feathering.
    Hope that helps.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  3. HaileyandJoliesMom

HaileyandJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    That does help, thanks very much!!!

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It's only totally reliable in those breeds that are bred for feather sexing...

5. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Quote:What breeds can you feather sex?

Dove

6. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    I have had really good luck with wing tips on one day old chicks. Hold the wing open, on male the feathers, where the flight feathers will be, are all one length and fuzzy, on females there are two distinct rows of feathers, one long one short and more developed, not so fuzzy.

7. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    my mother says all the time that i could do it with wing feathers?? i will have to try it

8. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Does this mean the method doesn't work after the chick is over one day old?

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    As arlee said, the parent stock have to be bred a certain way for the chicks to be feather sexed. It does not work for any specific breed unless they are bred for feather sexing.

Jody

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The method I was talking about in that link is not just for certain breeds. It looks at the total chick and the secondary sex characteristics they develop. It doesn't involve wing tips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by