Wing feather loss

LargeMarge

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2017
This is my 2 week old Emdben's wing. (Had a hard time getting a better picture) It is also "raw" and without feathers on the "elbow" area as well as underneath the wing. Is this something i should be concerned about, or could she possible be getting in her new feathers already? Seems a little young. I've been watching closely and there doesn't seem to be any pecking going on- either to herself or by my other Embden of the same age. Any advice/input/calming words (new to geese) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 10
Your picture is blurry when I try to blow it up so I'm gonna take a shot and say it's probably normal. Young poultry will often start to grow out of their chick down before the feathers come in. There should be no feathers in the armpit area, that's normal. And raw dot spots on the top or shoulder area of the wings is normal too.

Your picture is blurry when I try to blow it up so I'm gonna take a shot and say it's probably normal. Young poultry will often start to grow out of their chick down before the feathers come in. There should be no feathers in the armpit area, that's normal. And raw dot spots on the top or shoulder area of the wings is normal too.
Good to know. Thanks for the reply and sorry for the less than great picture. I believe I see some new feathers starting to come in under the wing so I feel a little better about that.
Should I expect to see loss of chicken down in random patches as they get their new feathers? Like on the head, necks, or bodies? Just so I don't get worked up if it does happen.

Thanks!

Generally I see bald spots on those wing points, but I do sometimes see them in other spots, like around the vent, and neck, so I wouldn't get too worried unless your bird starts to look like it's balding everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom