Wing feather question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ausash, Apr 25, 2007.

1. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    I have a batch of 2 week old mixed breed chicks and some of them have really long wing feathers (the full length of their body) and a few have much shorter wing feathers (only have the length of their body). Does this mean anything when it comes to figuring out male or female? If the long feathers mean males than I won't have but two chicks left when all is said and done as we can't keep males. Am so hoping that is not an indication of that as I think that they are just all so cute and I would hate to get rid of that many. My favorite is one of the ones with long feathers and it was born black with a yellow dot on its head and neck and now is getting really beautiful black and white feathers on its wings. Wish I could get some pictures but momma won't let me anywhere near them.

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I was told that longer feathers were females and shorter ones were males. Not sure if it is true or not still waiting to see![​IMG]

3. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Well that would thrill me as most of them have long wing feathers. Guess I will just have to wait another month or so to see for sure.

Thanks.

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:Yeah if it hold true, I will only have a couple males, and many girls, so fingers crossed![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by