Wing Feather Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SterlingAcres, May 11, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've never had to sex chicks, I usually just gave them away...

At any rate, when I watched that Hatchery Chick episode of How It's Made last night, they said you can sex day old chicks by their wing feathers. If the little 'sheaths' are straight across it's male, if they aren't it's female...

Has anyone else sexed a chick like that? Or maybe I got it backwards.

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I know you can do that, but I think it's only for certain breeds. The guy at my feed store helpeme wing sex my bantam chicks-the cochin turned out too be a roo and the two sebrights were both hens. I don't know which breeds it does and doesn't work for.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It only works on certian breeds. The individual breed has that trait bred into them.

4. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I was able to successfully sex my last hatch with feather sexing. I never count on my feather sexing, but my last hatch I sexed 100%. The hatch was white rocks, RIRs, Barred Rocks, Ameraucanas, and Buff Orpingtons.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Does it work on Silkies and Silver Sebrights? [​IMG]

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I may have some of these in my hatch this time. Was what I wrote correct? Straight across is male, not straight is female?

7. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Right. Just always remember the adage that girls mature faster than boys and you'll keep it straight.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you breed fast feathering females with slow feathering males, you can feather sex them. Else it is a guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by