wing feathers not growing back, now skin is very red, what to do next?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4acresNachick, Aug 10, 2011.

1. 4acresNachick

4acresNachick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I adopted this EE mix hen nearly three months ago from an over crowded coop down the road from me. The birds were all parasite free but most of the hens were ALOT smaller then the 3 Roos that serviced the flock so almost all of the hens were missing feathers on their backs. Plus that is just to many Roos for the poor hens. The person I got them from was downsizing her flock including 2 of the 3 Roos so I took 4 of her hens. This one had the most feather loss. In the weeks since the girls have blossomed. But, Gertie's wing feathers are not coming back and in the past 2 weeks one wing has gotten worse. She is really stressed about being handled but I have caught her and cleaned the area and put an ointment that I got at my local feed store. I have tried keeping her in a cage by herself as well but after 2 days she was super stressed so I released her because I was afraid she would injure herself trying to get back to the others. throwing herself against the sides of the cage and everything. It is not swollen or oozing but it is not getting better. Is she possible picking her own feathers? I haven't seen anyone else bothering her, but I am not out there all the time. What can I do besides keep the area clean and the antibacterial ointment? Here are some pics of her
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    sorry of the blur, dreary here today, hard to get a clear shot in drizzle. will try again later if a better pic is needed
    [​IMG]
    Gertie is the one in the back, Trouble and Celeste are the other 2

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. gamechicken

gamechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    all u need is viteams in there water

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    could be a few things. she could be in a molt, she may be getting plucked by the others or plucking her own feathers out, the chickens are attracted to the bald spots and continue to pluck any new feather growth. you can try to increase her protein intake to help with the feather growth, I use BOSS(black oiled sun flower seeds). you may want to get her a hen apron until her feathers grow back. you can try pinless peepers, prevents them from being able to see the feathers they are trying to get or apply blue cote, works but is messy. I have had a hen with bald spots for over a year and and tried soooo many things without any great luck

4. 4acresNachick

Apr 17, 2011
    Thanks!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you might also buy some Blue-Kote and spray it on the area, being careful not to get it into her eyes or mouth. It will help heal any raw area and disquise the loss of feathers till they grow back out. You the best for taking those girls and giving them a better life. [​IMG]

6. 4acresNachick

Apr 17, 2011
    Thank you all for the replies. DH and I are going to TSC and the local Feed store for supplies. Gertie is going to be one unhappy girl tomorrow but hopefully feeling better in the long run. She lays the prettiest green eggs, plus she's teaching the pullets a lot about the world, I would hate to lose her now to something that is possibly curable. Again Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by