Wing feathers not growing back

Derek712

Chirping
Aug 20, 2022
I read online that I shouldn't worry and that this is part of molting. But it's been about 2 months now. Shouldn't the feathers start growing back by now? I'm starting to worry that something more serious is going on. The male looks fine but she has looked this way ever since the feathers came out. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• duck1.jpg
    duck1.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 11
  • duck2.jpg
    duck2.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 3
  • duck3.jpg
    duck3.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 3
How often does she swim? Do her feathers look wet when she gets out? What are you feeding her? Is she getting enough protein?
Swims a couple times a day. I only have a small pond I dug for them but it's enough for them to float and play around. I'm not sure about them looking wet though. The water usually runs right off their feathers as if it's oil and water. I'll try to pay more attention to it tomorrow though when I let them out.

Food is Country Road All Flock pellets. I was doing a duck specific food but the store nearby is constantly out of stock. Drives me nuts how bad our Rural King is.

Swims a couple times a day. I only have a small pond I dug for them but it's enough for them to float and play around. I'm not sure about them looking wet though. The water usually runs right off their feathers as if it's oil and water. I'll try to pay more attention to it tomorrow though when I let them out.

Food is Country Road All Flock pellets. I was doing a duck specific food but the store nearby is constantly out of stock. Drives me nuts how bad our Rural King is.
Hmmm, sounds like your doing the right things. How old is she? Is she currently laying eggs? She does look a little rough. My females do not molt as often as my drake. I assume it is because their energy and resources are going into making eggs. I would give her some extra protein (scrambled eggs, dry cat food, fish, etc.). If she does look wet after swimming look into “wet feather”.

Hmmm, sounds like your doing the right things. How old is she? Is she currently laying eggs? She does look a little rough. My females do not molt as often as my drake. I assume it is because their energy and resources are going into making eggs. I would give her some extra protein (scrambled eggs, dry cat food, fish, etc.). If she does look wet after swimming look into “wet feather”.
About a year old and she lays an egg a day no fail. She did lay a soft shelled egg a few weeks ago but it was only the once and never again since. I just chalked it off as a fluke.

Will try the extra protein though and check for wet feather, thanks.

My pekins are looking ratty round the wings like yours. Duck 2 is a bit extreme but the other two are just like three of mine. They are waiting to molt. They haven't done yet, but once they molt and grow new feather they will look great.
I have two pekin drakes I rescued as juveniles at the beginning of April. They had clearly been brought up together and were tightly bonded. Both had dreadful wings -- from being cruelly and unnecessarily clipped. One of the boys, Huey, has now molted his wing feathers and grown new ones. He is now a handsome drake. Yet Dewey, his bonded buddy, has still not lost his damaged feathers and grown new ones. But he, like your ducks, will molt and grow new feathers in his own time

Back
Top Bottom