1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wing Feathers stripped bare

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WTurner, Feb 7, 2015.

1. WTurner

WTurner Out Of The Brooder

This is our Red Pyle Old English Roo. This is how he looked a couple of months ago.

[​IMG]

Here he is now!!

[​IMG]

All his body feathers appear shaved short. His wings are bare???

I've read about mice but he sleeps up high....

Help please.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is he housed with other chickens?

3. WTurner

Yes he is with several. But he is defiantly to Roo of the coop?

4. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

I think I have read about a type of louse (lice) that do this to feathers. I remember them saying how hard it was to get rid of it or treat it. I can't remember the details of it, but I would suggest searching for feather lice or feather eating lice or something like that.

5. WTurner

I will research thank you.... But he is the only one like, I would assume lice would spead? And I have looked him over from top to bottom and gave scene nothing.

6. WTurner

From what I am seeing it doesn't fit. There are no signs of mites or lice, his skin is pink and healthy.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Someone in the flock is feather picking/plucking him. Spend some time watching them and eventual the culprit will be caught in the act. It is generally the bird in the flock showing the most perfect feather condition. I doubt that it is feather lice.

8. WTurner

Interesting his mate seems to have the prettiest feathers at this point. We have them together but separate from the flock right now, so we are wactching closely... Any suggestions if it is her?

9. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Looks pretty uniform to be a feather picker to me. I've seen this type of feather damage posted from people dealing with a certain species of feather lice. It's not your general louse.

If it is his mate, all I can think of is peepers.

10. WTurner

I can't seem to find the specific lice you are talking about I guess as there are no signs on him of lice or eggs? It is quite uniform. Do you have any links you can share? Also not sure what you mean by peepers?

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by